The GAPS Diet Explained in 5 Minutes

What’s the GAPS Diet?

Do you keep hearing about the GAPS diet and yet are still unclear as to what it’s all about?  Are you looking for a succinct way to explain to your family and friends exactly what it is you’re doing?

I have found it helpful to find a quick way to explain what the GAPS diet is so that people’s eyes don’t start glazing over with too many details!

I’m trying something new today, and I created a video to share my 5-minute explanation of the GAPS diet.  I would love to hear what you think about my explanation and whether you want to see more videos.  Please share in the comments!

This post is part of Eat Make Grow Thursday, Simple Lives Thursday, Thank Your Body Thursday, Freaky Friday, GAPS Friendly Friday, Sunday SchoolClever Chicks Blog HopMonday ManiaNatural Living MondaysTraditional TuesdaysFat TuesdayFamily Table Tuesday, Allergy Free Wednesday, Whole Foods WednesdayWheat-Free Wednesday.

Comments

1. Debbie says:

No, offense, but I hate videos – I’m a reader. I can scan an article in less than half the time it would take to watch a video. Perhaps you could post an article as well??? I would love to forward this to some friends.

Debbie, no offense whatsoever! I’m so glad you told me your honest opinion. I’m definitely curious to see what everyone thinks of the video.

I’ll put together a written version of this topic for you and all the other readers out there! (I know – I don’t always watch videos on blogs because I definitely lean towards reading first!) Give me a week or two and I’ll get it up. I’m headed out of town for the next week, so it’ll take me a little longer. ;-)

Thanks for your feedback!

2. Jenni says:

I work in a call center and I am fortunate enough to be able to be on the internet in between calls. If this was written out I could read it between calls, as it is in video form I won’t be able to enjoy this until at home tonight. Do you have a written format available?

Hi Jenni! I don’t have a written format of this post yet, but I will very soon since I’ve had a few requests for it. ;-) I’m headed out of town, but look for it in another week or two!

3. Tracy says:

I love the video it is so much more personal the just a post! And I have never heard of GAPS diet before and you have pecked my interest. I’ll have to check it out more in depth. Keep up the good work!

Thanks, Tracy! I thought it might be fun to do something a little different from my normal format. If you want to read more about the GAPS diet, you can check out my posts in “The GAPS Life & Beyond” category – just look to the sidebar and scroll down a little bit. I’m glad you like it!

4. Kristie says:

I enjoy videos and articles. Articles usually for health info, and videos for recipes/kitchen techniques. I enjoy your blog!

Thanks, Kristie! I appreciate you sharing the types of formats you enjoy. I’ll be keeping those ideas in mind! Thanks for reading my blog!

5. Mindy I thought you did a great job! I do a lot of videos for my blog and my beginning blogs did not have any background music. What a difference a little background music can make (faded of course so we can here you). The quality of your videos look great too. I too have gotten the same feedback from my followers that they like both the content and the video together. Here is an example of one of my latest that has both :)
    Have a great weekend ~ Halle

Thanks, Halle! Thanks for the great idea of background music. I decided on a whim that day to give videos a try. ;-) It was fun to do, and I can see how having both print and the video would appeal to all of my followers. Thanks for sharing the link to your example – that looks great!

It was fun to try and I’ll have to keep working on these. Thanks for your tips!

6. 2girls1busymama says:

Thank you for this video. My mom gave me the book a few weeks ago and I’ve been reading at random but after hearing your explanation I realize what I need to do to heal myself and the commitment is worth it. Thank you!

I’m so glad you found it helpful! It can be a bit daunting to start GAPS, but it really is worth it. Best of luck to you!

7. Tina says:

I’d prefer a written version too…would rather read!
    :-)
    tina~

8. Jennifer says:

I’ve had personal success with GAPS as I’ve had my son on it since April, he has severe ADHD and mild autism. His improvements are HUGE. It’s not a fast cure, but a steady healing that takes place before your eyes. When you’ve been suffering with mental illness it’s quite miraculous what diet alone can do!

It’s so great to hear about the success your son is having with the GAPS diet. Thanks for sharing, Jennifer! And you’re so right – it’s not a fast cure, but it does happen.

9. Jennifer says:

…also VSL#3 is the BEST probiotic for those following GAPS (or not)…

I haven’t heard of VSL #3 – what does that stand for?

• Jennifer says:

Good question! I have NO idea…I have been ordering it for months now, very pricey but WELL worth it if you can afford even one month of it. It’s sold by a Canadian pharmaceutical company. If you google the name it will come up…

10. Alison Turner says:

Good video! For someone interested in the GAPS diet for themselves and wanting to know more, it is the perfect length. Or, for someone who cares about another on GAPS and really wants to know what they are up to and why. But for a person with a more casual interest, it would probably still be a bit much.

Also, for future videos – the portrait of you for your blog is beautiful. But the angle from which the video was taken (seems to be looking up at you), while fine, is not as flattering as the angle from which your picture was taken.

Do keep up the good work. I am bookmarking this page, as I may well refer friends/family members to it for a quick summary of what I am doing.

Blessings!

Thank you for your thoughtful feedback, Alison! I’m glad to hear it’s reaching the audience I was aiming for. ;-)

Thanks for mentioning the camera angle. I’m definitely going to have it up higher for my next video.

Thanks again!

11. Peggy says:

Nice work. I like that you didn’t say “um” a lot…that always bothers me when listening to people talk.

Thanks, Peggy! That’s a big pet peeve of mine, too. I do have a confession, though, my first time through I said “um” a ridiculous amount of times! I think it went better the second time. ;-)

12. Hi Mindy! I really like the video…you did a great job explaining the diet. I’d love for you to share your post on my new blog hop, {Wheat-Free Wednesday}! Hope to see you there! :)

Anne-Marie

13. Megan says:

Hi Mindy,

I love the video. I started the GAPS intro Oct 1, and am now in to the Full GAPS Diet. I’m really enjoying the healing that I’m seeing & feeling! This video will help me talk to my family and friends about GAPS. That’s been a big challenge.

I’ve got a question for you: How do you know if you need to take digestive enzymes? What are the symptoms one would experience that would be helped by digestive enzymes? Thanks for your advice!
    Megan

Thanks, Megan! I hope your family and friends will have a better understanding of what you’re doing. That’s always a challenge.

I think there are a variety of symptoms that can occur. Some of the most well-known are heartburn and acid reflux. As I continued farther along on the diet, I started having heartburn for the first time. I have really increased my protein and my body was having a hard time with that. I know there are other symptoms that my chiropractor was also looking for, but I don’t remember them right now.

Hope this helps!

14. Mindy, you did a great job! This sounds great and I would love to have you share this on Thursday at Tasty Traditions: myculturedpalate.com

Thanks, Dina-Marie! I’ll be sure to come and share it. By the way, how did I miss that you totally changed your website?!

15. Hi Mindy! Thanks for sharing at {Wheat-Free Wednesday} last week. Your posts have been pinned to my Pinterest board. I hope you’ll share again this week:

Anne-Marie

16. Shilpa says:

Hi Mindy,

Thank you so much for a great video. I have got the book and read about this diet too… But can’t implement it…

My 5 yr old son is allergic to almonds (and other nuts) as well as coconut and some seeds. How oh how should I go about the diet that uses so much of these two ingredients.

What are your ideas??

Thanks,

S.

1. [...] have a confession to make. I have been dabbling in real food for several years now, and on the GAPS Diet for more than a year, but I still struggle with fermented [...]

2. [...] learned so much in this session! If you have never heard of GAPS, here is a great video explaining GAPS in 5 minutes and here is a GAPS Intro Guide. While I do not think my family needs GAPS at this time, I think [...]

3. [...] the Sports Drink plus a Healthy Alternative! from Oh Lardy! Is Meat Healthy? from Thank Your Body The GAPS Diet Explained in 5 Minutes from Too Many Jars in My Kitchen! Making fish stock at home from Real Food Suomi Why Saturated Fat [...]