The Reading Corner is a monthly series where I share some of my favorite links from around the web, must-read books, and some of the recipes I’ve pinned recently. Pull up a comfy chair and get ready for some fun reads!
Links I Loved
- With the holidays just around the corner, sweet treats will be in abundance. Now is a great time reduce or eliminate sugar before the holiday craziness sets in. Be sure to check out these tips to kick that sugar habit!
- Lighting candles in your home is very enjoyable as it continues to get darker earlier at this time of year. The big question is what type of candles to use. Have you given beeswax candles a try?
- I really enjoyed reading about this natural alternative to aluminum foil. I had never heard of this unique idea before!
- The issue of vaccinations is always a hot topic. I hadn’t really considered much about the tetanus vaccine before I read this article.
- Depending on who you talk to, the definition of a health food can vary widely. You’ll want to take a look at these three “health” foods to avoid!
- I was just chatting with a friend recently about this topic of brown rice vs. white rice. Guess which way I swing these days?
- I love learning how to make my own staple ingredients, and now there’s a great tutorial on how to make your own homemade peppermint extract.
- The idea of converting yards and lawns to edible landscapes is very appealing to me. While I don’t have a yard to convert (just my tiny herb garden on my balcony), you can read about how to transform your front lawn.
Must Read Books
- For those who are avoiding grains, dairy, nuts, and/or sugar, the upcoming holidays may seem a bit daunting. You’ll want to get a copy of a new free e-book that just came out: Grain Free Holiday Feast E-Cookbook. You’ll be well on your way to preparing a delicious, yet healthy holiday feast!
- I’ve reviewed The Eczema Cure around here before, but I thought it was worth mentioning again since I often hear about people looking for natural cures for this issue. It’s definitely worth the read!
Recipes I’ve Pinned
- Coconut whipped cream – This is one of my favorite treats to keep on hand!
- Never Be Bored By Eggs Again – I really enjoyed the opportunity to help contribute a few of my ideas for creative ways to prepare eggs with a couple of other lovely bloggers.
- Orange spritzer recipe – If you’re not quite ready to see summer fade away, you can relive sunny days with this recipe.
- Potato and artichoke gratin – Are you getting lots of potatoes in your CSA share right now? Here’s a great way to use them up!
- The best butternut squash soup – I love making butternut squash soup. How about you?
- Grain-free breakfast ideas – Breakfast can be a challenging meal when you first start out on a grain-free diet.
- Hollandaise for one – Hollandaise sauce has been one of my favorite things lately since I’ve reintroduced butter!
- Homemade hot chocolate – It’s getting to be that time of year again when hot drinks warm us on a chilly evening.