Giving GAPS Intro Another Go

When I first decided to start the GAPS Diet, I planned to start working on incorporating some elements of GAPS into my life slowly at first.  Then I set a date for the intro part of the diet and knew that, once I began, I was going to do my best to do it really well for the next couple of years.

My other main plan was to do the intro diet once.  I had heard of some people who went back and did it again at various points, but I did not want to be one of those people!  Why on earth would I put myself through those kinds of restrictions more than once?!

Revisiting My Declarations
Well, I have found in my life, that it’s generally wise to not make those kinds of declarations.  It seems that you often end up going back on them later.  (Another declaration I made once, before starting college, was that I would never get married before I graduated.  Ask me how that one turned out!*)

After feeling like things were really starting to go downhill for me at the beginning of the year, I decided to get some outside help.  When I first met with Monica Corrado, she suggested that I would really benefit from doing intro again.  I cringed inside at the thought.  But I also knew she was probably right.

We decided that I would give myself some time to prepare, get enough broth on hand, make ferments, etc.  And then I would start.  But this time, I have some guidance from someone else to help me.

Intro Begins Again
So I began intro again on March 16th.  Today marks day 7 for me and I am already on Stage 3 as of this morning.  Yea!  We set some points I needed to reach before moving on to the next stage and I’m happy to say I feel like I’m cruising along pretty well through intro.

I feel so much better than I did the last time I went through intro, especially during stages one and two, when I noticed a lot more die off symptoms.  My energy, except for the first day, has been really great.  In some ways, I think it’s even better than before I started intro last week.  Other really great news is that my rash, which had spread all over back in January, has greatly reduced.  I’m hoping it might even clear up completely by the end of intro.

The other exciting news is that I have officially started the dairy re-introduction protocol.  I’ll go into more detail about this in the future, but it’s going to be a long haul.  Six weeks on each stage.  Right now I’m just on ghee, which I had actually already introduced without a problem.  But I’m happy to know that I’m going to be working my way through each of the coming stages.

Is Repeating Intro for Everyone?
While I don’t think everyone probably needs to go back and re-do intro, I would definitely recommend it if you’re having some issues or feeling a bit stuck.  And even though I get a bit grumpy about my food choices in the first couple of stages, as my husband can attest, I think it has already been very beneficial.  I’m looking forward to seeing more good things take place over the next couple of weeks!

Have you done intro more than once?  What was your experience going through it again?

*And yes, it turned out well!  I married my best friend between my junior and senior years of college.  And I also finished my degree!

This post is part of Pennywise Platter Thursday, Fight Back Friday, Sunday School, Monday Mania, Fat Tuesday, Freaky Friday.

Comments

1. Monica says:

I’ve been on GAPS for 6 months and did Intro the first month. I never eliminated dairy completely. I ate ghee during Intro and now butter. Do you know if it is recommended to go off of dairy completely for a period of time before reintroducing it slowly?

Great question, Monica! I should definitely clarify what I’m doing!

No, you don’t necessarily have to go off dairy. Dr. Natasha has you doing just what you mentioned through intro.

I have a dairy intolerance that I’m trying to heal with GAPS. I haven’t had cow’s milk products in about 7 years. After my first round of intro, I did introduce ghee without a problem, but never tried moving on from there. We’ve decided it’s time for me to give it all a try, albeit very slowly.

While I’m introducing cow’s milk products, I’ve decided it will be easiest to eliminate all other dairy products I’ve been consuming, such as goat milk kefir, sheep milk cheese, etc.

Hope that clears it up for you!

2. Nichole says:

I tried intro but failed….I went to full GAPS since February and it is going well. I am going to re-visit intro either in the late summer or fall. I am working full time 12 hour shifts as an RN and just can’t do it now. I am taking a break (I am doing contract work) and that is when I will re-try intro. I hope your intro is going well.

I can’t imagine trying intro while working 12-hour shifts! I think you were wise to do full GAPS instead. Full GAPS is really very beneficial too. Hope you have a better time doing it when you’re working less!

3. Julie says:

hi there! i am wondering what markers you use to know when it is time to move to the next stage. i get so confused about that! ;)

That is the great question of GAPS, isn’t it?! It’s definitely a challenging thing to really quantify. The first time I went through GAPS intro, I typically moved on if I had successfully introduced all of the new foods and if my digestion seemed to be functioning well. I didn’t really worry about how tired I felt or other symptoms, but just focused on my digestion. This second time through I was still paying close attention to my digestion and how it was doing. But I also set goals to reach for each stage with Monica Corrado with whom I have been working. We would set specific amounts of foods for each stage for me to hit before moving on to the next one. For example, how many egg yolks would I need to include before moving on to stage 3. I hope this helps. I know it’s challenging to figure out. I think the best thing is to listen to your body, but to always be working towards forward movement. Good luck!

1. [...] little while ago I mentioned that I was doing GAPS intro for the second time.  Now that I have finished my second round of intro, I thought it would be helpful for me to share [...]